Saturday, June 14, 2008

My first night with Metal Gear Solid 4


For those of you who dont know, Metal gear solid was released on thursday june 12th. The highly anticipated game made exclusively for the ps3 has made a big splash with reviewers. I grabbed a copy from Gamestop on the 12th. But being the busy person that I am, only was able to dig into it last night. Here's my thoughts.

As I said I picked up the box, it was very exciting looking at the graphics on the cover. Since I knew I wouldnt have time to play right away I carried the book around with me like a set of car keys! LOL! The manual has the standard instructions and control info. It has a funny comic about online play in the book. I felt the manual was pretty good for a ps3 title. Alot of drawings that correlate to the controls in the game.

So after reading the book for a couple of days off and on, I finally loaded the game. There was about an 8 minute install time. Usually that would have disturbed me, but you are treated to a great graphic of snake(the main protagonist) smoking during the load screen. The graphics on the load screen are insane!

I gotta say it again... the GRAPHICS ARE INSANE!!!

INSANE i tell you! Im a new ps3 console gamer. Ever since my ps2 got old, I have mostly been playing on the pc.

But I have to say, I didnt know a game could look this good... I really can't emphasize it enough!

I started the game up, and the intro movie scenes all look fantastic. I have the sound hooked up thru digital optical out to my sound system. The digital sound is very well done, movie production quality.

I actually had a sense of awe while watching the game. The metal gear series has always had a deep and sometimes humorous storyline, and its no different in this case.

Gameplay wise, the controls are very similar to previous entries. They have however been tweaked for the better, especially with camera controls and switching to first and third person.

The games cutscenes and gameplay are interwoven seemlessly so far. Granted im not that far into the game, but I am enjoying it immensely.

Gameplay video's and screenshots online do not give this game justice. When you see the game for yourself, you will realize how truly groundbreaking the graphics are.

I did go crazy before logging off and started shooting everything in sight! Man when snake gets sent flying by a grenade it really is an Oh s!#@!! moment!

Tried online a little last night, long sign up process. Gameplay is a little slower than conventional shooters. But graphics are great as well, and after about an hour I was used to the new slower pacing. It has potential, I will need to play longer before knowing if the online gameplay can keep me enthralled. But so far it was rather enjoyable as well.

I definatley recommend the game to any ps3 owners who want to see what there system is capable of.

This definately has me concerned about the pc game industry. I dont think it will be too much longer before consoles *ARE* the new pc's for gamers.

Great job Konami.

No comments: