Thursday, April 24, 2008

Whats so Casual about Welfare Epics?!


Woot! Finally hit the big 70 with my draenei warrior and im ready to do some pvp battlegrounds to get geared up! This is gonna be great!

Im sure thats what alot of casual gamers thought when they finally reached the mountaintop and dinged 70. From what I read on numerous forums getting your welfare epics was like playin in EZmode!

The initial excitement of the massive upgrades my warrior would get initially carried me thru the first week or so of grinding, I even put in more time than usual, there was a great satisfaction when i got to equip my first epic 2hander....

Fast forward a couple of weeks and all of the excitement had turned into a chore.... Dont get me wrong, I still enjoyed pvping from time to time. But when the only tangible accomplishment shown for competing in the battlegrounds are marks and honor.... eventually it starts to lose its luster......

Blizzard designed the BG's with some thought towards casual gamers, but, when you can only get an hour of playtime a day, it gets old having to spend that time doing the same thing for weeks on end.

Granted, some will argue that you should mix it up, do some instances perhaps, But why do an instance for an item if you only have a 1 in 5 chance of getting it... if it drops...

The fun factor takes a serious hit when your riding thru Alterac Valley and see a 30 horde ride right past you so they can cap the GY and Tower....

Im sure there has to be a way to make the battlegrounds actually feel like a battle instead of a mini-game.....

Perhaps if the wins and losses in the BG actually affected the game world, or there was more to gain than just upgrading my character....

Perhaps if the primary reason for fighting was to kill horde, and the epic gear was just an afterthought...

Perhaps when the BG's are so engaging you dont notice the tons of honor you've gained...

When most people queue up for BG's to farm honor instead of winning the war and having fun somethings wrong....

But thats just my 2 cents.. I'd love to here what others think!

No comments: