Friday, May 9, 2008

A little War in Warcraft

Well, being the casual gamer that I am, I finally got around to visiting the new sunwell isle from patch 2.4. I ran some daily quests, grouped up with a few people and generally had a great time. I had no idea what I was supposed to be trying to accomplish on the isle or why I was getting the shattered faction rep, but it was cool.

While I was there I found a vendor selling pvp rewards for some strange marks or items. Not knowing what it was I tried looking up some info on the net. I didnt find what I was looking for, but I did come across this video.

It pretty much shows sunwell on a pvp server. I was amazed, I hadnt seen that kind of open world pvp'ing since the early days of wow.

Of course the playerbase on a pvp server is slightly different than on the regular servers, but it was still odd seeing that the one place where pvp wasnt purposefully planned was getting the most action.

I wonder if blizzard noticed this? Granted, im a little late, but it seems like with a little tweaking, that type of zone can make for a great open world battlefield.

Utilizing the daily quest system, with a pvp based emphasis would generate a lot of skirmishes, perhaps an ancient city, partially controlled by one faction or the other. Increased city control based on daily quests completed. I think you would need to keep the zone focused on bottlenecks where a lot of pvp could occur due to the quest system. Finally culminating with complete control of the city by either the horde or alliance. Of course through in a little npc help when one faction is outnumbered. and voila! open world pvp is born again!

I dont know what blizzard has waiting in the wings with the wrath of the lich king.
Who knows? maybe one day there will be a little more war in warcraft.

No comments: